Friday, October 12, 2012

A Roasted Revelation

I can't tell you how many times my fiancé has looked at what I'm making for dinner and said, "Mmmm.... I don't like that.  You don't have to put any on my dish."  I usually sigh and dump some on his plate anyways - he has to eat his veggies!  But generally after the required one bite, he ends up really liking it.  And I'm not just saying that to show off!  He really does.  It just has to do with the method of cooking.  Some foods just taste the better when prepared a certain way.

Here's what I mean...  A few of my fiance's previously "disliked" foods included brussel sprouts and cauliflower.   Which I have to say, really didn't surprise me.  There are TONS of people who think brussel sprouts are the gray-green boiled enemy from their past.  And cauliflower...steamed and covered with a fake cheese sauce from the freezer aisle just doesn't make people think "yum".  That's why I tried a different technique to turn up the notch on these veggies.  I threw them in the oven and roasted 'em!

Roasting is a simple enough technique - but more often than not, saved only for meats and starchy vegetables like potatoes and winter squash.  However, when roasted to a golden brown crunchy perfection, both brussel sprouts and cauliflower can be transformed into a whole new dish.  What makes roasting so great for your everyday veggie, is that it brings out a completely different taste and texture.  Brussel sprouts turn golden brown, losing their bitterness and gaining a crunchy, salty deliciousness!  Cauliflower takes on a whole new profile becoming nutty and sweet.  Plus, once roasted these veggies have an eye catching golden crispy-ness that will seduce any veggie-hater.

Here's my quick and easy recipe for roasted brussel sprouts or cauliflower:

  • 1 head of cauliflower (cut into medium-sized florets) or 1 lb brussel sprouts (cleaned of any brown leaves and sliced in half) 
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 425 F.  Toss cauliflower or brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated and seasoning is evenly distributed.  Roast for about 15 minutes, then stir the veggies turning so that all sides can become evenly browned.  Continue roasting for another 20-25 minutes until a dark golden brown.  Serve immediately!  

1 comment:

  1. I love roasted veggies. Brussel sprouts have become a favorite of mine since I learned that roasting them makes them so delicious!

    ReplyDelete